Rally IN the Capitol on May 21
Stand up for Public Ed INSIDE the State Capitol on May 21!
The legislature will be in session on Saturday to work on the funding bills. Our goal is to have 1,000 or more STS supporters flood the Capitol throughout the day to remind leaders of our priorities.
Our message is, “The Eyes of Texas Are Upon You! We’re watching, we’ll remember and we VOTE!
Volunteers can choose the morning shift (10 am to 1 pm) or afternoon shift (1 to 4 pm).
Here’s what to do to take part:
1. E-mail us at email@example.com to let us know you’re coming. If you’re bringing a group, give us the approximate number. Also, include which shift you prefer, or whether you will come for the full day.
2. When you arrive, go to the Family Life Center of First United Methodist Church (Family Life Center), 1300 Lavaca St., on the west side of the Capitol. We’ll have t-shirts, printed materials and group assignments. If you have Save Texas Schools shirts already, please bring them!
3. Volunteers will go in groups to approximately 6 offices for 20 minute visits with staff. Our goal is to have each office visited by 8-10 groups. All volunteers will also have the chance to sit in the House or Senate galleries and be a silent witness (though your t-shirt will speak loud and clear). We will also be able to be more vocal in the lobby by the entrance to the House Chamber.
4. We’ll have snacks and drinks at FUMC. The Capitol Grille (cafeteria) will also be open. Parking is plentiful at the State Capitol Visitors parking garage.
5. More questions? Call us at 512-653-4935 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
IF YOU CAN”T COME TO THE CAPITOL, YOU CAN STILL TAKE PART!
We need several hundred folks to be calling throughout the day on May 21! Our goal is that these offices spend the day either answering Save Texas Schools calls or meeting with our volunteers. This will be a HUGE encouragement to those who have stood for education, and a frightening reminder to those who haven’t of the strength of our voice!
If you want to be on the phone team on May 21, e-mail email@example.com. Tell us where you are from, times you can work and who your representative and senator are.